So here I am, in my senior year of college. I’m awaiting my entry into the “real world” but first I have to get that $120,000 piece of paper and a handshake. Honestly, that’s not what I think my education is, I want to walk away with something that I am proud of, something that I have accomplished that I can bring to employers and be like “Hey! Look at this amazing thing that I did!”
- I’m really interested in reproductive rights across the country.
- Even though America is the same country, each state varies on their rights.
- What I find very curious how childbirth and women’s health care has evolved over the years.
- I would like to take a deeper look into what causes these trends in how women choose to have their babies; i.e. natural with, C-Section, induced ect.
- Another topic of interest of mine is midwifery vs OBGYN.
- These are both professionals that a pregnant woman can go to for pre and post natal care. I think that midwifery is making a comeback in today’s naturopathic world and the trends would be interesting to compare.
- Young women’s health has also been a topic on intrigue of mine.
- What is out there for resources for these young women? What information are they receiving in public schools? How do professionals reach them? These are all questions I would like to know the answer to.
- Lastly, is self esteem and empowerment for young women.
- I believe there is a true lack of education and empowerment for young ladies in today’s society. Why is this? How can we change it?
Applied Project Ideas:
- I used to work for the SAGE Center on campus, but sadly that is no longer a resource for us. I am interested in bringing back a resource or something similar to this back to campus.
- Two years ago we not only lost the Wellness Center but also the SAGE Center. These were both places where one could receive advice, have access to advocacy, and links to further resources for gender and women’s health needs.
- I am very interested in women’s empowerment, especially for teens and younger women. I would like to volunteer or be a part of the Young Women Day that Plymouth hosts every year.
- I have been in contact with the Pemi Youth Center and have shared with them that I am interested in writing a young women’s empowerment curriculum. Since I have already written curriculums and am passionate about the need for this type of education it seems like a good fit.
- I think it would be interesting, and kinda weird/maybe gross (but it shouldn’t be because it’s a normal part of life!!!) to document different women’s experience with their menstrual cycles. Wether this be through stories, photos of feelings, or art. I think this will be an amazing way to celebrate the amazingness that is a woman.
- I would love to coordinate and implement a Slut Walk in Plymouth. This is a national thing that happens every year and at a time like this in the world I think it is necessary to bring awareness and education to rape culture.